North American Lighting Design Engineer - Lead in Farmington Hills, Michigan
Design Engineer - Lead
Apply now »
Date: Apr 6, 2021
Location: Farmington Hills, MI, US, 48331
Company: North American Lighting
Plans and performs engineering research, design, development, and manufacturing assignments for new lighting projects of significant size and complexity. Develops strategies, modifies plans, and provides/reviews design direction.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops a pre-design from information provided by the customer, and develops any specific feasibility study that may be needed in addition to normal studies.
- Investigates and procures all data required to develop designs, using the best combination of preliminary information and contributing data to develop final drawings.
- Prepares CAD drawings as required, verifying that the designs and concepts of the department are correct, and that the designs and concepts meet the expectations and deliverable of our internal and external customers.
- Develops a complete design to include layouts with background information, detail drawings, geometric dimensioning and tolerance, all in accordance with SAE, MVSS108, EEC, ECE, customer and technical requirements.
- Makes changes to current products as directed by supervisor.
- Reviews the ECR’s and CAD work Request, verifying that the task is our departmental responsibility, and that there is sufficient information to complete task.
- Assesses design direction, verifying if directions follows good design practice.
- Transfers data per NAL data transfer conventions, and keep the part file folder up to date.
- Makes recommendations as to “who” a task should be assigned, based on the skill level and availability of the Designer.
- Performs as a “working leader”, and mentors the Project Engineering Staff and designers as may be required, to assure that they have the skills and knowledge to perform their tasks
- Assists the Manager or Supervisor - Project Engineering (as may be requested) with cost, timing, and performance feedback for all design engineering personnel.
- Assists the Manager or Supervisor - Project Engineering (as may be requested) in the daily function of the department, and acts on their behalf in their absence.
- Maintains professional working relationships with all external contacts, including customers, suppliers, and other vendors.
- Maintains open communication with NAL personnel (supervisor, designer, program manager, purchasing, engineering, test lab, and other design engineering staff) to exchange information to enhance the development of a design.
- Prepares a monthly report of the progress of designs, plus any open issues, concerns, or problems, and reviews with the Supervisor - Project Engineering on all responsible programs.
- Provides the Manager – CAD Design with cost, timing, and performance feedback for all design personnel.
- All other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: To supervise the Project Engineering Staff in the absence of the Supervisor and Manager - Project Engineering.
Bachelor Degree in Engineering, plus a minimum of 8 years experience in design engineering (including 5 years of lighting design experience). Experience using CAD with a supervisor's knowledge of design, and exemplary techniques for the complete surfacing of our products. Outstanding knowledge of plastic injected molded components, and associated tooling. Strong verbal and written communications skills and previous experience working in a team environment. The ability to perform as a “working leader”, setting an example to the staff on work ethics and commitment.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, genetic information, and veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Requisition ID: 4268
Location: Farmington Hills
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Apply now »
Find similar jobs:
Management Jobs, Engineering Jobs