General Motors Process Engineer - Controls Engineer - MFE0004971 in Grand Rapids, Michigan
The career level senior process engineer responsible for program execution and plant floor production for machine controls, vision and robotics. Work is performed in a plant activity where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as well as a high level of independent judgment.
- Design and troubleshooting of electrical controls systems
- Human factors consideration
- Design, construction, integration, plant installation, successful launch and continuous improvement of equipment and tools required in plants for the production of high quality parts
- Providing technical direction to and oversight of outside vendor sources
- Work may involve development and testing of advanced process technology
- Work may involve providing technical direction to and coordination of less experienced process/controls engineers
- Manufacturing and assembly equipment controls, vision and robots
- 5+ years of experience as a controls engineer
- Strong technical knowledge of electrical/control systems and the ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated basic understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine designs, process requirements involved in the manufacturing process.
- Ability to assist in all aspects of installation and improvement projects and sub-projects within the manufacturing areas relating to machine controls, vision and related disciplines. Responsibilities include specification, design, estimating, hardware/software integration, installation, commissioning, cost control and documentation phases.
- Experienced in PLC and HMI programming and Ethernet networks
- Knowledge of servo motors, motion control, vision and drives.
- Ability to design and trouble shoot electrical controls systems.
- Demonstrated ability to manage challenging projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Ability to use computer, interpret blueprints, engineering drawings and learn new systems.
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
- Willingness to travel
- Assignment location will be inGMCH LLC Grand Rapids.
- Certified by the AIA as a Machine Vision Professional at the Advanced Level.
- Completed training and possesses a thorough understanding with multiple 3d machine vision products.
- Completed training and possesses a thorough understanding with Fanuc IR Vision machine vision products.
- Experienced with Cognex / Dalsa systems.
- Experienced with iRVision systems.
- Experienced with Rockwell and Siemens PLC programming methods.
- Familiar with Fanuc robot programming methods.
- Capable of specifying engineering requirements for PLC controllers & HMI’s requiring integration to machine vision systems.
- High level of administrative and project management skills.
- General knowledge of hydraulics and pneumatics is a plus.
- Prior work experience as a controls engineer in the automotive field.
- Knowledge of GM’s global controls architecture.
- Demonstrated understanding of plant floor work.
- Multiple different ME assignments with successful individual achievements or strong team-based achievements.
- Global Exposure working with others from other regions to complete projects.
- Experience in controls relating to high power welding
- Experience in controls relating to test NVH.Education
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Master's degree in engineering preferred