Occidental Petroleum Site Support Technician in Ludington, Michigan
Title: Site Support Technician Location: United States-Michigan-Ludington Other Locations:
Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2020 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
- Packaging of calcium chloride products and operating a forklift truck.
- Loading calcium chloride products into rail cars and trucks.
- Maintaining and cleaning out of rail switches.
- Operating a fire hose and other water type hoses.
- Operating air hammers and other power tools.
- Observing personnel involved in a vessel entry.
- Shoveling a variety of materials such as sand, snow, and ditches.
- Wheelbarrow work.
- Working in elevated areas.
- Frequent use of portable ladders.
- Maintaining the grounds of the plant site.
- Painting and raking of plant properties.
- Occasionally create or update department procedures to ensure accuracy.
- Issue Safe Work Permit.
- Lock and tag out equipment.
- Other general labor duties as assigned.
- Actively support plant and corporate HESS safety programs, objectives, and expectations.
- Follow the Ludington Guiding Principles.
- Actively support and participate on teams or in programs to continuously improve plant operations.
- Must be able to work with others in a self-directed workforce environment. Teamwork is an essential competency.
- Perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, and stooping are required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
High School Graduate / GED Required
Climb multiple flights of stairs to access the top of tanks, buildings, and process equipment.
Work in all types of weather (heat, humidity, cold, etc.)
Ability to climb multiple flights of stairs with tools weighing 25 lbs.
Must be able to perform duties requiring standing for extended periods of time.
Bending and kneeling around process equipment for extended periods to conduct equipment rebuilds and repairs.
Perform typical physical requirements found in operations such as repetitive pushing, pulling, and lifting motions.
Climb step and extension ladders to access process equipment, working from scaffolding, and working in high places in excess of 100 ft. high.
Mounting and dismounting a fork lift or man lift multiple times per shift.
Working in confined spaces, or awkward positions may be necessary for extended periods. (This could include sitting, lying on one’s stomach, back, or side, stooped over, stretching, or leaning around objects as possible examples).
Must be able to meet the requirements for respiratory protection as outlined in the Ludington Site Respiratory Protection Program.
Ability to work around chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, calcium chloride, magnesium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, lubrication oils, greases, and chemical cleaning agents
Ability to wear all required PPE.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
- Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status