General Motors Feature Function Engineer in Milford, Michigan
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
GM is undergoing a major transformation, both in how we operate and in how we will influence the future of transportation. Our Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls (VMEC) team is on the forefront of this work, emboldening our culture by seeking out determined, innovative individuals who will join our team to help move us forward and achieve our mission.
We are looking for a high-performing Feature Function Engineers with domain experience in one or more of the following:
ICE/Hybrid Propulsion systems.
The candidate must be able to take high level feature concepts and translate them into Feature, System and Subsystem detailed requirements for controls, software and hardware teams to implement. The concepts are not always well defined and the requirement generation can involve considerable research/investigation/Simulation/Math to be transform into publishable requirements. Candidate must be an effective leader, communicator and collaborator.
I) Comprehend System Functional Requirements
· Capture customer facing requirements (FE/CO2, DQ, Emissions, NVH, Performance)
· Reference System Safety Hazard Analysis and partition safety hazard requirements to functions
· Comprehend applicable government regulations
II) Define Functional Controls and Hardware Requirements
· Define context diagram and hardware integration of the function (or BigFlowDiagram)
· Define the functional and physical partitioning and of the requirements
· Define function’s interface requirements (including aging, build variation, environmental, etc.)
· Define functional requirements and mapping of inputs to outputs
· Define actuator and sensor performance requirements (HW)
· Define how inputs to the function are used to transform the outputs (latency, overshoot, oscillation, etc.)
· Define calibratable aspects of the function
· Define diagnostic & degraded state requirements
· Define use cases and measurable/objective performance requirements for normal and degraded states
· Define signal/data retention requirements
· Lead System/Subsystem DFMEAs and participate in design level DFMEAs
· Manage requirements in and with GM requirements tool suite (Doors, RTC)
· Deliver requirements on time
Additional Job Description
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Physics, Math, Computer Science, Information Technology or Chemistry
Minimum of 2-5 years of experience in the field of expertise
Ability make sense of chaos and translate into the understandable
High level of interpersonal styles and communication
Skills to work cooperatively/collaboratively with adjacent teams such as Architecture, Controls, Software, and Hardware teams, both within and without the home organization
Ability to interface effectively with Suppliers Controls/Software teams
Experience with Requirements management tools (i.e. Doors)
Experience with Change management tools (i.e. Rational Team Concert, aka RTC)
Background using simulation environments and Plant modeling for testing or requirements generation a plus (Matlab/Simulink, CarSim, D-Space, ETAS, other)
Strong analytical problem solving skills, including independent judgment and decision making skills, where problems are very unusual and extremely difficult
Ability to prioritize work with only limited direction from manager
High level of oral and written communication skills
Experience with ASIL D systems.
Masters or PHD in Engineering with an emphasis on Controls
Experience with OBD regulations requirements
Propulsion/Electrification/Chassis, Transmission Control Systems or Other similar experience related to Physics of Dynamic Electromechanical Systems.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com .In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- General Motors Jobs