ZF Controls Engineer I in Northville, Michigan
Controls Engineer I
Position Summary: The Controls Engineer is the primary technical liaison for all functional changes with regards to ZF transmissions technology and is responsible for the coordination and execution of such functional changes according to internal and external requirements. In addition, the Controls Engineer is responsible for customer product development initiatives, which ensure the seamless and timely integration of ZF products into customer engineering projects.
• Serve as the primary technical liaison to the customer for customer issues, discuss and give feedback on issue progress to the customer and distribute issues and assign responsibilities to the applicable departments as needed. Coordinate with Resident Engineers on next steps.
• Serve as the primary technical liaison to the customer for functional changes and change management processes for the following modules: diagnostics, signal processing and Shift-by-Wire/Shift-by-Lever; support the release of production calibrations for assigned programs.
• Discuss and support software deliveries with the responsible engineers of other modules and variants; track calibration releases.
• Perform calibration engineering activities, including but not limited to, the creation and execution of system-level development and validation test plans, development of functional test procedures and scripting, and performance of verification testing.
• Develop working relationships with customer and internal departments (i.e. teams assigned to other modules); ensure that all engineering changes have no effect on modules or variants (design and test).
• Perform root cause analysis and error correction of system-level problems relating to mechatronic systems, hydraulic systems, sensors and wiring; support root cause investigations and special testing to resolve test incidents as assigned through the open issues list.
• Provide clarification and technical explanation of ZF product specifications, calibration solutions, and component functions.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs and provide support to team efforts.
• Ensure departmental compliance with all IAFT/TS16949 policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• B.S. in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc.)
• 0-2 yrs of engineering experience in a product development and/or manufacturing environment (includes co-op and/or internship experience)
• Working knowledge of technical aspects of applications engineering and product design/development (specifically within a powertrain and/or automotive context)
• Familiarity with scripting and/or programming language(s) (i.e. Python, C++, C#, etc.)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software
• Ability to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel/management
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work independently manage multiple responsibilities (i.e. self-starter, self-motivated)
• English language competency
• Ability/willingness to travel (up to 25%)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc.)
• 0-2 years of experience as a customer quality engineer or resident engineer within a powertrain development and/or manufacturing environment (specifically within automotive industry)
• Experience with data acquisition tools (e.g. ETAS INCA, CANalyzer, etc.)
• Deep knowledge of the technical components and critical functions of an automatic transmission
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.