ZF Controls Engineer - Test Systems in Northville, Michigan
Controls Engineer - Test Systems
Position Summary: The Engineer I – Test Systems Service is responsible for providing technical expertise and guidance in the optimization of services for assigned accounts with regards to automated test equipment, procedures and related cost elements, which ensure the maintainability, reliability and availability of test systems.
• Manage the service project design, implementation and coordination of service activities and related initiatives, involving internal groups and external suppliers as necessary.
• Perform fault and root-cause analyses for technical issues involving hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic, electrical, or mechanical component and/or system-level failures; develop corrective action procedures and determine resources needed for resolution (i.e. parts, personnel, service hours, etc.).
• Perform activities to diagnose, repair, maintain, install, and rebuild a variety of test systems to support validation processes on-site and at the customer site.
• Replace electric motors, pumps, belts, electric wiring, numeric controls, and related components involving mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, and pneumatic functions.
• Tear down and check component parts; repair, reassemble, and test valves, pumps, solenoid valves, rewire controls.
• Analyze cost elements for service projects and ongoing service support in order to develop cost models for pricing and quotation preparation for spare parts and service activities/projects.
• Provide technical guidance and engineering expertise in the commissioning, service support, and upgrading of test systems for customers within the North American region.
• Follow and support creation of technical processes and concepts for the optimized service, maintenance, calibration, and upgrading of test systems.
• Establish relationships and build rapport with customers to optimize cost and service elements.
• Develop training courses and deliver technical training to internal and external groups regarding component and system-level maintenance and calibration of test systems.
• Perform scheduled preventive maintenance on test systems.
• Work in accordance to 5S procedures.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs and provide support to team efforts.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Comply with all TS16949 policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• B.S. in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related Engineering field
• 1+ years of professional engineering experience in a technical sales or service environment, specifically focused on production automation and/or automotive applications (includes Co-Op or internship experience)
• Basic experience with controls engineering and/or software/hardware for electric drive systems or sensor applications
• Basic experience with Siemens Step7 and/or other automation modules
• Knowledge of Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Mechanical components/parts functionalities
• Proven ability to read engineering drawings/prints (both electrical and mechanical) in DIN/ISO standard format (in metrics)
• Proven ability to analyze blueprints and use mathematics to evaluate/understand complex machine drawings
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Ability to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel/management
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Strong drive for teamwork with a customer-oriented approach to projects
• Superior interpersonal, communications and listening skills
• English language competency – both oral and written
• Ability/willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (up to 50%)
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Familiarity with various automotive test systems for driveline technology
• Experience with developing technical processes and solutions for test systems service operations
• Experience in the Automotive Industry
• German and/or Spanish language skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.