ZF Electrical Engineer in Northville, Michigan
Position Summary: The Electrical Engineer is responsible for representing internal engineering departments, supporting on-site customer product development initiatives, and ensuring the seamless and timely integration of ZF products into customer engineering projects, in addition to serving as a technical liaison for all engineering applications during product development at the respective customer site.
• Execute all resident engineering activities, which include but are not limited to, verifying content and accuracy of drawings and BOM, maintain drawings and BOM in SAP, issue prototype orders, attend customer meetings, and develop reports.
• Position will require resident engineering support at GM.
• Attend customer meetings including design reviews, PMTs, etc.
• Prepare/summarize reports/data for customer presentation
• Responsible to effectively communicate customer needs/requirement onto to project team
• Provide precise layouts, sketches and specifications, form which drawings can be made
• Provide engineering direction to designers
• Verify content and accuracy of drawings and BOM
• Release and maintain drawings and BOM into SAP
• Ensure all product designs comply with customer and ZF design standards
• Issue detailed prototype orders and support the internal prototype department to ensure customer delivery dates
• Issue detailed test requests and support the internal test department to ensure project timing
• Interface with manufacturing on product design / manufacturability and tooling requirements
• Responsible for coordination, planning and execution of DFMEAs, DVP&Rs, CAE analyses, and all other design/release documents (system, subsystem, & component)
• Active participation in the APQP process, PFMEAs, Control Plans & VA/VE
• Provides cost reduction recommendations
• Participate in problem solving and recommend corrective action
• Confer with project team to develop a work plan and prioritize tasks
• Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Comply with all company and TS16949 policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• B.S. in Engineering (Electrical preferred)
• 3-4 years of engineering experience in a product development and/or manufacturing environment (includes co-op and/or internship experience)
• Advanced reading, mathematical, written and verbal communication skills, mechanical and technical skills
• Working knowledge of technical aspects of applications engineering and product design/development (specifically within a chassis and/or automotive context)
• Computer literacy in basic PC based office software including software spreadsheets and able to use product specific calculation software
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software
• Ability to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel/management
• Ability to provide creative and practical design solutions to meet customer specifications typically associated with 3-5 year’s experience in product engineering positions
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work independently manage multiple responsibilities (i.e. self-starter, self-motivated)
• English language competency
• Ability/willingness to travel (up to 25%)
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc.)
• 5+ years of experience as a customer quality engineer or resident engineer within a Chassis development and/or manufacturing environment (specifically within automotive industry)
• Good knowledge of GM design systems to support weekly activities (i.e. PRTS+, GPDS, E-squared, Team Center)
• Good knowledge with GM design systems (i.e. PRTS+, GPDS E-squared, Lotus Notes, Team Center)
• Experience with data acquisition tools (e.g. ETAS INCA, CANalyzer, etc.)
• Deep knowledge of the technical components and critical functions of Chassis systems
• Experience in the Automotive industry
• German and/or Spanish language skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.