Leidos Protection & Control Engineer in NOVI, Michigan
Do you want to grow your career and be part of a team solving critical challenges that affect the world?
_ Leidos Civil is leading the way in solving internationally pressing issues, including:_
/ Energy engineering/ – Restoring power during hurricane efforts; helping communities achieve significant energy savings
/ Environmental management/ – Delivering innovative environmental solutions and wildlife conservation plans
/ IT infrastructure modernization/ – Helping 2+ million citizens recover from identity theft; maintaining global biometrics systems
/ Transportation security solutions/ – Securing U.S. borders with 1200+ radiation and explosive monitors; designing vehicle solutions that save lives, reduce congestion, and boost fuel efficiency
If you desire to be an integral part of a dynamic team of science and technology leaders, then Leidos Civil is the place for you!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefitsof working for a world-class employer.
When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”
Leidos...Practical Answers for a Complicated World
We are seeking a Protection & Control Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team in a fast paced environment, solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality. The position will include coordinating with project managers, directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff, and performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from substation expansions, modifications and new builds for projects at 12.5 kV through 500 kV.
• Apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
• Prepares equipment specifications, analyzes bids, makes recommendations for purchase
• Applies standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepares project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Prepares engineering calculations and reports
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
• Acts as a resource and mentor to other engineering staff
• The successful candidate will demonstrate their capability to perform the job functions with a combination of education, experience, knowledge, and skills.
• Typically requires B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
• 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
• 1 – 2 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
• Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment
• Experience with
Equipment selection and specification
One and three-line diagrams
Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as WORD, EXCEL, PROJECT, and ACROBAT
• Demonstrated ability to perform effectively within a driven work environment
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and creatively problem solve
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
• Self-starter who can work independently with minimal direction
This job will at times require periodic travel and potentially short time assignment at client sites.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.