Coherent Mechanical Design Engineer in Plymouth, Michigan
Mechanical Design Engineer
Position Type:Full Time - Regular
Experience Required:Less than 1 year
Education Required:Bachelors Degree
Email a FriendSaveSaveApply Now
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is one of the world’s leading photonics manufacturers and innovators. With headquarters in the heart of Silicon Valley, California, and offices spanning the globe, Coherent offers a unique and distinct product portfolio that touches many different markets and industries. Our Plymouth, MI facility specializes in Industrial Automation products, including the design, build and service of laser manufacturing systems.
The Mechanical Engineer is a part of the Coherent engineering design team for laser manufacturing systems. This role plays a key role in product design as well as supporting products throughout their life-cycle.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Primary responsibilities are to design and develop industrial laser systems and integrate package solutions using innovative engineering solutions.
• Generate effective solutions that are imaginative, thorough, practical and within cost and time targets.
• Manage projects.
• Periodically interact with customers and vendors to discuss, understand and/or establish requirements.
• 3D Modeling using Autodesk Inventor
• Develop and layout innovative Electro-mechanical designs.
• Design to micron level accuracy on integrated multi-axis linear/rotary motion and part holding.
• Provide Fixturing solutions for intricate part-holding solutions.
• Integrate tooling and part handling into enclosure, base and related workstation cell weldments.
• Generate Detail Drawings with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
• Organize and output Bills of Materials.
• Employ new technologies to produce unique and innovative machine tool solutions.
• Execute sound engineering practices, backed up with hand calcs, FEA, etc.
• Select Materials and fabrication for cost/performance.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
• Requires a BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or 4 years of mechanical systems design experience
• Mechanical systems design experience in Tooling and Fixture Design in 3D, integrated into material processing workstations as used in either manually or automated manufacturing systems preferred
• Previous experience using CAD based software - Inventor and/or Solidworks preferred software
• Previous experience in manufacturing automation design for mass production, such as conveyorized manufacturing
• Previous laser system design experience
• Previous experience designing Robotic workcells and associated end effectors as required
• Knowledge of applicable safety standards
• Competent in Microsoft Office products and efficient in email and internet
• Proven oral and written skills required
• High accuracy in work, attention to detail
• Experience with hands-on prototype design and builds as well as transfers to production.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.