Cosma International Systems Engineer, Mechanical in Troy, Michigan
This position is responsible for the detailed design of new customer and/or internal product developments, following the defined product concept. Works closely with Quality, Purchasing, Manufacturing Engineering, Program Management, OEM Engineering, and the internal cross functional engineering team.
- Design, development, and problem resolution of new and existing powertrain, and driveline products.
- Cascade of specifications from system to components and delivery of product designs to the specifications.
- Collaborates with other engineering disciplines to define detailed design, analysis, computer modeling, prototype/production drawings, and specification releases.
- Responsible for on time design release of system, sub-system, and components, throughout the product development cycle, including, but not limited to acquisition, serial development, and production support.
- Tracks design status, reports progress, and escalates issues/delays to project development team.
- Supports and adheres to policies, procedures, and operational guidelines related to established quality management system (TS 16949).
- Maintains working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
- Practice and maintain integrity while following Magna’s Charter and Constitution.
- Follow Magna’s Code of Conduct and Ethics and related compliance policies.
- Supports and adheres to policies, procedures, and operational guidelines related to established quality management system (IATF).
- Drive the development of new technologies to improve quality, efficiency and reduce cost.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures to ensure duties of self are performed in a safe manner.
- Health & Safety responsibilities:
Understand applicable Environmental, Health & Safety policies and procedures in the workplace.
Report unsafe conditions immediately.
Report injuries, accidents, illnesses, near misses, property damage immediately.
Follow safety rules.
Comply with requirements for the use or operation of machines or equipment.
Comply with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
- Create a positive work environment by demonstrating and sharing functional/technical knowledge.
- Develop and maintain a responsive and cooperative working relationship with internal and external customers.
- Treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect.
- Complete additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with internal and external contacts, with a high degree of diplomacy, judgment, and possesses the ability to effectively influence persons in all types of positions.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization.
- High level of analytical ability, understanding of engineering theory, and principles of design
- Minimum three (5) years related work experience required; experience in powertrain developments preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Attention to Detail: Able to teach team efficient ways to verify accuracy and consistency; help others understand the reasons for certain procedures and the impact of certain mistakes; work with team to design processes that ensure records are kept up to date; hold people accountable for rigorously testing services/applications.
- Continuous Quality & Performance Improvement: Able to establish personal standards of quality for own work; independently improve the quality of own work processes products, and/or services; identify and apply “best practices” in own work; improve the efficiency of own work by eliminating barriers and streamlining work processes; measure and track own performance.
- Organization & Time Management: Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects and associated tasks successfully.
- Problem Solving & Analysis: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of a problem before taking action; separate causes from symptoms; apply lessons learned from others who encountered similar problems or challenges; anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them; develop and evaluate alternative courses of action.
- Technical/Functional Expertise: Able to demonstrate mastery of the technical/functional skills necessary for performing own job; maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of the advances in field; regularly publish or present on leading-edge issues; conduct leading-edge research or similar work that has organization-wide impact; play a key role in advancements in profession.
Office environment; 20% travel required
While working in this environment, the employee may be exposed to machinery, moving equipment, moderate noise, airborne particles, fumes, and various levels of temperature created by manufacturing processes.
Group: Magna Powertrain
Division: Magna Powertrain Troy - Driveline Systems
Job Type: Regular