General Motors Creative Designer - Exteriors - CRE0001299 in Warren, Michigan
***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
Are you a highly creative design individual who is interested in being part of one of the most exciting design studios in the world. Based in Warren, Michigan where the fusion of Art, Design and Technology come together, General Motors North America has an exciting opportunity for the right designer interested in stretching the boundaries of Exterior Design across multiple brand studios.
As an exteriors designer, you are part of a larger connected global design team working on leading, world class products in production design.
Your role is to see the future - researching, designing and creating proposals that demonstrate innovative exterior ideas and concepts from inception to implementation for automotive and mobility application. Understanding brand and strategy as the filter, you generate world exterior design concepts for automotive products in both 2D and 3D proposals. You must have exceptional visualization skills and can communicate your ideas to an audience. You have no problem refining ideas as you receive feedback. Working as part of a team you interface with multiple creative and non-creative stakeholders including suppliers to execute ideas and deliver world class products.
You have a passion for design, innovation and are highly creative as demonstrated in your portfolio. With a Bachelor’s Degree you have a major in Design (Automotive Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, Exterior Design, Graphic Design or Architecture). You have a minimum 1-5 years of experience in a design related field, automotive is strongly desired but not necessarily essential.
You’re driven and eager to propel your career forward. A self-starter, your sophisticated communication skills will enable you to effortlessly build relationships. Comfortable in dealing with potential changes in direction based on what designs catch fire, you thrive in a team environment and display a strong ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
Take your next step in joining a world class design studio at General Motors.
This Exteriors Designer will create fresh, innovative designs for exteriors for multiple General Motors Branded vehicles or other products utilizing electronic design tools. Coordinate the work of other design personnel to achieve design goals. Follow design process from the sketch form to the final release clay model. Work duties involve a considerable amount of perception, design taste, judgment and creativity as well as a definite degree of skill, accuracy, and coordination. Provide insight and recommendations to supervisors and leadership while possessing willingness and acumen to act upon general guidance.
- Makes perspective sketches and renderings in scale and full size sufficient to communicate new design ideas
- Develops two and three-dimensional mock-ups of proposed design solutions
- Works with studio engineers, modelers, other designers, and service and fabrication personnel in the development of new ideas in both two and three-dimensional form
- Makes presentations of new thoughts and designs, both orally and visually
- In the absence of the assistant chief designer, may be called upon to give leadership and direction to lower classified designers
- Frequent contact with cross functional partners outside the work group
- Experience working with Premium brands is a plus
- Ability to communicate new ideas
- Good understanding of form
- Good drawing skills
- Demonstrated creative proficiency
- Demonstrated proficiency utilizing electronic tools to communicate 2-D ideations
- Oral and written communications skills
- Relatively high level of analytical ability where problems are complex
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with others
- Competent interpersonal skills and the aptitude to work effectively with others
- Knowledge of computer and ability to effectively use as it pertains to engineering
- Bachelor degree with a major in transportation design, industrial design, or a related field
PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
To be considered for this position, you will need to submit a portfolio in addition to your resume and profile. You may include a link to your online portfolio in your resume OR if your portfolio is not available online, please follow the instructions below to upload your portfolio as a separate attachment as you did with the resume.
1. Save your portfolio as a pdf document
2. Name your portfolio your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. Example: Candidate name is John Smith. Portfolio pdf file name is: Smith, John.pdf
3. Upload as an attachment - you may have to condense the file.
Education and Training
- General Motors Jobs